Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Simple Sales Call Tool

My last column was about taking action to grow market share during tough times. Let's look a some real world ways to make that happen in a powerful way that doesn't break the bank.

Let's start with something cheap and highly effective. If you can’t (or won’t) do this, then any real effort will also be beyond you and you’ll just be one of those who lose market share while others take it from you.

The idea is simple and involves nothing other than materials you already own and a VERY modest investment of your time. There is only one specialized piece of equipment, but you probably already own that, too.

What you do is program your GPS on your next trip to find all potential clients between your current location and your final destination. This is done in different ways on different GPS models, but basically you select “FIND” or “GO TO” and there should be an option to select “Near my current route”.

You then select the type of business you want to target and use the trip as an excuse to drop in and leave a packet of information with those clients.

GPS units are getting very sophisticated. They can find schools, public libraries, country clubs, restaurants by the food they serve, hotels, convention centers, and a host of other categories.

Browse the functions on your GPS and see how you might be able to use this $200 investment to pay for itself in ways that you might have never imagined.

I might go into detail about how to handle the sales call in a future article. If you are interested let me know. There are different tactics for different markets, and for different personality types. But even if all you do is hand deliver your promotional material as you pass by you will be surprised at how effective this can be for your business.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're going to spend $200 for a GPS, then why not invest in the new iPhone 2.0 by Apple? It has GPS and web browsing, and sells for $199. You can use it for location management by saying, "Find all ____ businesses near my location."

So, that's a great idea Julian. Use your trips for marketing. Thanks.

Bob Miller
www.MagicBasePro.com

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great idea! Of course I'd like to read your thoughts on how to approach the prospects!

Mitch Dutton

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Sheron White said...

Thanks for a great idea. I have GPS on my Blackberry and I am glad for a way to use it for marketing. Keep up the good work!

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it!

I have OnStar that might be even better.

If you did not have the GPS I bet you could get a list from Mapquest or some other online sorce, so you would not even have to get a GPS. I think you are crazy not to have one (or OnStar- I do love OnStar!) if you are in this business!

And YES I want to hear your thoughts on how best to close a cold call like you describe!

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We talked about this idea in January at Julian's workshop, and it really works! As a matter of fact, when I pulled up to my first library yesterday, I recognized it as a library where I stopped earlier this year with a packet of information. The librarian told me that the drop in visit was what pushed her to decide to hire me. Now she has booked me for a Holiday show and is already looking to hire me next year!

Tommy Johns
Atlanta, GA

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Julian Franklin said...

Tommy is too modest! This was really his idea. He called me last fall and told me about it. We hammered out some of the details (which I will definately write about soon) and then he started putting it into practice to see how effective it would be.

We have a Business Building Workshop in January where he came and spoke about this, and about 12 other ideas he had come up with, but this is the one I wanted to share on this forum, he's just too modest to admit it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home